Critical Reflection

Reflection on the final product for Unit 4 and 5,

Going into this unit, I had no experience in creating a game within a team of people and no experience being a project manager. My skills in art, especially pixel art, were okay not amazing and my knowledge of animation was very limited.

However, I have developed my skills shown above as well as more quite considerably. The area I contributed to was the art. I was also the project manager so I complete some documents that was required to be filled in like a spreadsheet etc... One part of the work I struggled with was the programming but after some talking as a group we decided I would focus on art instead of the coding.

The group that I was apart of worked incredibly well for a group of people that have never worked in a team managing a project before.

Gnatt Chart,

The image above shows you the schedule that we, as a team, planned. 

My personal time management was relatively good. The only problem with my time management was that I had a couple of days off. But I still contributed on these days off, I worked on the documents like the spreadsheet and I worked on my blog. 

Issue Log,


We didn't come across many issues over the time we spent on the project. Our group work really close to the plan and meet all the set deadlines. The only issue we had was not having access to any sound creation software. 

We could have used some copyright free sounds from the internet to overcome this issue however, we didn't want to use anything that wasn't created within our work as we thought it would detract from the work we actually did.

If we were to make a further iteration of this game we would address this problem by adding some sound effects and a soundtrack to make it more immersive for the player.

The project as a whole,

The project as a whole achieved what we initially set out to do. We decided on setting the target audience at the PEGI rating 12+. I think that in hindsight, we could have set the target audience to the PEGI rating of 7+ this is because the game doesn't really contain much violence and the violence that it does contain isn't very graphic.

In future iteration of this game, I would add additional levels, sound effects and a soundtrack, more shop upgrades and other enemies to fight.

If we were to change the way we managed this project I would not select a solo leader/project manager. I think that the team would have worked better if we all had an equal say in the way we completed the product.

If I could change some of the work I contributed to I would change the Background of the game. I would have added a parallax with another background to add another element to see while walking on the surface. I would also have added an animation on the coins on the HUD. I animated them becoming brighter and then becoming darker to seem like a light just reflected off them.

If I were to do a similar project in the future I would work more on the production of the game at home so a better game would be created due to the extra work I put in at home. I would also make sure that I have access to a sound software so I can create some sound effects.